HUT AT A PLACE KNOWN AS MAS AUDRAN AT LACOSTE, HÉRAULT
Text by Christian Lassure, photo by Dominique Repérant
This large and beautiful hut made of basalt blocks stands on the Auverne plateau, above the Salagou lake, in a field that was once cultivated.
It consists of four superimposed degressive truncated frustums (or alternatively, four superimposed degressive cylinders with marked batter. The truncated cone at the bottom is surrounded by a well-faced circular buttress which is interrupted outside the entrance. The truncated cone at the top was unfortunately raised in a recent intervention.
A large, naturally arched slab serves as a lintel over the entrance. The interruption of the right-hand buttress has been modified. Its originally battered face has been straightened unnecessarily.
The room inside is 4 m 10 in diameter and 4 m 60 in height under the vault.
An oral survey established that the hut was built around 1830 by residents of the neighbouring village Pradines, the three Cot brothers. Some 175 years later, it continues to bear witness to the constructive and architectural mastery of its authors.
Source : André Cablat, L’architecture rurale en pierre sèche de l’’Hérault :cabanes de bergers, d’agriculteurs, de charbonniers, dans L’architecture rurale en pierre sèche, t. 2, 1978, pp. 41-68.
To print, use landscape mode
To be referenced as :
Christian Lassure (texte), Dominique Repérant (photos)